Friday, November 20, 2009

The Boy is not Marley and thanks for your two-cents, Random Stranger

I left work early yesterday, so I picked The Boy up from puppy camp. We are used to people stopping us and saying how beautiful he is. This is true, The Boy is a fine looking dog. What has become so annoying is that the next thing out of their mouths is inevitably, "Have you seen Marley and Me?"

For the record, anybody who has loved a dog should read the book. And I loved the movie, but I never thought I would watch it more than once, because who wants to cry like that on purpose? Although C did point out to me that I watch Steel Magnolias over and over and it's essentially the same kind of self-inflicted emotional torture. I do watch Marley and Me often, but I usually stop when they move to PA. I just can't take the ending.

Anyway, so yesterday this guy stops me in the parking lot of the vet's.

Random stranger: He's beautiful. How old is he?
Me: Thank you! He just turned two, so he's still a little rambunctious but he's a sweetheart.
RS: Have you seen Marley and Me?
Me: Yes, I love that movie. I cry every time I watch it.
RS: My friends' just put their lab down. It's sad. I've heard you have to be careful with the dog's hips.
Me: We're working on getting his weight down so we don't have to worry about it so much. We want him to be healthy!
RS: Well, walking him is good. You'll probably lose some weight, too.

With that matter of fact statement, he put his rabbit in his car and left. Did this guy who owns an animal that essentially shits every time it moves really just suggest that if I exercised my dog more, I might lose weight?

1 comment: