Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Once. Twice. Three times rejected...

OK, I changed careers in my mid 20's and got a masters in accountancy because it was supposedly recession-proof. Oh, how wrong I could have been. Two and a half years later, I'm unemployed. I've been applying for jobs on my own, and working with several accounting/financial recruiters.

I applied for Job A back in June. It was perfect for me. Never heard back from Company A. Rejection #1.

Cut to July. Recruiter #1 calls me. "Housewife! I've found the perfect job for you! Have you heard of Company A? Internal audit position, minimal travel!" To which I replied, "Yes, that job at Company A does sound perfect for me. But I've already submitted an application, so maybe they are not interested." He says "Let me check," but never gets back to me. Rejection #2.

Cut to yesterday. Recruiter #2 calls me. "Housewife! I've found the perfect job for you!" I say, "Oh, yes, tell me more!" He says, "Have you heard of Company A?" I sigh. "Yes. I'm pretty sure they don't want me, as they've seen my resume twice already." Recruiter #2 says, "Let me call them. You are perfect for this job."

Recruiter #2 calls back. He's spoken to the HR manager. Apparently, when they posted a job for 2-4 yrs. experience, they meant 3-5. Well, that's freaking fabulous. Rejection #3. I used to work in HR, so I felt confident when I said to Recruiter #2, "Well, maybe they should be honest in their advertisement, or raise their base salary. Because nobody with that much experience and a CPA/CIA certification is going to work for that pittance of a salary. I, however, can afford to make that salary, and that's fair given my experience. Tell them to call me two months from now when they STILL haven't filled that position."

When The Husband came home, I was eating my second bowl of strawberry ice cream with a side of Betty Crocker Warm-Delights...the dark chocolate cake kind. I felt I deserved it after the severe ass-whoopin' I took to my self-worth. 

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! You'll find a job! Meanwhile, live in the moment and enjoy being home. I'd kill to be out of a job by force!

    ReplyDelete