Monday, August 24, 2009

Where's the fire?

I have a theory. I believe that all of those fire drills elementary schools do are actually counter-productive. Do I think they are necessary, sure, but maybe it's overkill. Kids grow up thinking that the alarm = a break from class, and not a fire that could potentially kill them.

Case in point:

I had one minute and six seconds left on the treadmill today when the fire alarm at the Y started blaring. There were five other seemingly able-bodied and able-minded people in my cardio area. We all paused briefly, looked at each other and shrugged. The alarm was probably just a drill, right? Because it's always just a drill. Every one of us continued on our workouts. Until a Y employee came and rushed us out. I don't know if there was an actual fire, or it it was in fact just another drill. I wasn't going to wait 15 minutes in the parking lot to finish the last 30 seconds of my workout or to find out the cause of the flashing lights and wailing siren. 

Maybe I'm not smarter than a fifth grader.

1 comment: