Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Over-sharing on the Elevator

I tend to communicate in a total stream of conscience type of way, to my own detriment.

When leaving the office today, a woman appeared as the elevator door was shutting. I frantically mashed at buttons, trying to locate the door open button. As the woman entered the elevator, I said

"Sorry! Sometimes I get flustered and can't decipher between the door open and door close button! It's kind of like with greater than/lesser than signs. I have to employ that old second grade tactic of 'the alligator always wants more' and I have to visualize."

Was it only my second grade teacher who used that little teaching mechanism? Apparently so, or maybe it was just due to my ridiculous ramble that this woman stared at me with a "what the fuck is this girl talking about?" look. I recognized this look, as I get it often from my friends, my family and people I work with.

On a side note, I always try to hold the elevator door open for people. Except for that tart in the garage who parks her BMW SUV in a compact car spot every. single. day. I can't stand that type of asshattery, so I let her wait.

2 comments:

  1. I have a tough time deciphering between the door open/door closed buttons, too! It's similar to which side is left and which is right. Something so easy takes so much thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you started blogging again!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :)
    I love to laugh!

    Is it wrong that I got completely annoyed today on the elevator.... I walk in before some other people.... I'm on my phone texting after I press my floor button.... A lady and man get on the elevator and the lady is standing RIGHT beside me.... equal distance to the buttons (that I've already pushed and stepped away from several seconds prior).... and she just nods my way and says "4 please"....
    UM- WHAT LADY DO YOUR ARMS NOT WORK! LUCKY FOR YOU YOUR WITH A THERAPIST AND I CAN HELP YOU WITH THAT BUT I AIN'T GONNA PRESS THE BUTTON FOR YOU...
    of course I pressed the #4 button and glared at her the rest of the ride to floor 4.

    ReplyDelete